Sunday, March 31, 2024

Computer Question...

 


I have 2 computers that I can no longer log in to. One is a few years old, the other is 1 month old (literally, one month). Both have Windows 11.

I turn them on.
The login window pops up. 
The keyboard won't work to type in pin.
On the right lower corner, there is a "person" icon.
Click on that and a window pops up to allow one to toggle a thing so an onscreen keyboard pops up. (Photo above with red arrow shows the "little man" icon.)

On the older computer, for months I could use the onscreen login. 
Now it won't work at all.
Earlier tonight, the new one won't work either.
So, my mouse and keyboard work just fine.
There is some glitch within Windows 11.
The computer I am using to type this, is about 9 years old, and has Windows 10.
Yeah, I have too many damn computers. :) 

All filters are toggled "off" from the on screen keyboard option. 

If anyone knows how to fix this, bypass it, a work around, I would appreciate any advice. 
When I Google search this, it appears to be a somewhat common issue, but the "advice" is all over the place, some is questionable, some is outdated, some is for laptops, some applies to other issues and it gets confusing and overwhelming. Just to reiterate, this is not a mouse, keyboard issue, it's a glitch within Windows 11 which is fucking everything up. If anyone has knowledge and is willing to share it, feel free to e-mail me at vanessachaland at gmail.  :) 

14 comments:

  1. I’m no expert (though I used to be a programmer haha). My computer guy has suggested I stay away from Windows 11.

    I stick to one computer- a PC, but use an iPad for recreational surfing.

    It would be hard to give good advice like this. I’d take the device to a shop.

    Rosco


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was just fine with the previous version of Windows as well.

      Delete
  2. Try restart, you can shut down by holding power button until it turns off. Not having prob on my 11 laptop, but wife having issues with desktop after recent update on 28th. Of course I'm not on FB and take serious security preclusions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion. I've rebooted and done all the usual things, multiple times, to no avail. It's something in the code or whatever...but not unlike you mentioned, these issues started on both computers *after* those stupid updates. And also, I'm not on FB either...can't imagine why anyone would be. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEhMQQ96K5M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question: is your keyboard wireless/bluetooth, or is it wired? if the former, you might buy a cheap wire keyboard. AMZ sells a basic model (with mouse) for ~$20:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7GV802/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

    plug it in, restart, and see if it will work when you boot up. once you get past the login, you can go back to your bluetooth KB.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Luke, I'll take a look at the video and see if it applies and can help. As for the mouse question, both are plug ins. But this is not a mouse or keyboard issue...its a Windows 11 screwup. Anyway, thank you for the effort and assistance. :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry, the above reply was intended to *both* Hopelessly Hot and Luke, both people, both questions/suggestions. :)

      Delete
  5. OK you need to go wireless with kb and mouse Win 11 does not play nice wired peripherals including printers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an extra wireless mouse (but not a KB). I'll give it a shot, but I (in my limited knowledge) can't grasp how a regular mouse and keyboard would not work to log in, but would work all the rest of the time. On both PCs. My brain hurts. :)

      Delete
  6. Wife had prob a while back that took a couple weeks for me to track down to wired keyboard. Hermione went nuts a while back trying to figure out a peripheral prob that shop couldn't because all they had was computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready to go back to smoke signals...and/or cans with a string. SOS? Carrier Pigeon? Pony Express? This stuff is nuts. :)

      Delete
  7. Ready to go back to smoke signals when you have to ask Grandma what a dial up internet modem was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey *I* remember dial up modems, AOL, and all that... :)

      Delete